Wednesday, October 7, 2009

ABC Wednesday ~ L is for letters

It's ABC Wednesday and this week we are on the letter L.  Every week we choose a word that represents the letter of the week and then we either write about it and/or showcase it with a photo.  If you want to learn more and to see more L words please click on over to the ABC Wednesday main page.


(click on photo to enlarge)

L is for letters,
a trunk full of personal letters spanning over 30 years.
This trunk contains love letters,
friendship letters,
birthday letters,
thank you letters,
thinking of you letters
and any other kind of letter you can think of.

These letters are my most cherished possessions.
I've always loved writing personal letters,
but I love receiving them even more.

I think it's really sad that too many people these days
would rather send an e-mail or a text message
instead of taking the time to write a letter in their own hand.

These letters represent growth spurts in my life.
They are my history and part of how I became who I am today.
These letters chronicle who my friends were
what kinds of things they were doing.

It really is such an honour to re-read these letters.
Sometimes, when I'm feeling a little insecure
I dive into my trunk and pull out a letter at random.
I am always surprised by the words I read.
If only I could see myself how others have seen me.
With a little luck and a little maturity
maybe I can.

I would like to share a letter with you from my first love.
He passed away a little over a year ago from cancer.
I sure am glad I saved all of his letters
because now it seems to mean so much more.

Please click on the photo to read the letter. 
It really is very special to me
even though this was written to me after we broke up.



I hope I have inspired you to write a personal letter
to someone you care about.

It really does mean a lot more than an email.

Now, go check out the rest of the gang at ABC Wednesday.


8 comments:

  1. I, too, have a treasure trove of letters from friends and family that I will keep forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful that you keep these letters. They are the truth to your life. The mistakes, the good relationships, etc. What a treasure you have, and you are mature in your view of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful treasure chest of memories. A hand written letter in the post is always a special thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool that you have kept them all these years. Do you keep them in the suitcase? That is a great idea too. I throw too much out...keep it for a while then get in one of those moods and everything goes in the trash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a snail mailer and glad to know you are one, too! If you ever need to leave your because of, God forbid, some disaster, I hope you'll be able to run out with your trunk full of memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so sweet! I've never been a letter writer but now I feel like I've missed out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a bunch of letters from the 1970s and 1980, but as e-mail evolved, letters dissipated. Alas.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails