Monday, May 14, 2012

Happy Other's Day

It seems as though having a kid entitles you to special priviledges.

There's a special day for mothers and a special day for fathers.

Heck, there's even a special day for grandparents.

You get acknowledged all around the world just for having a kid.

People are nice to you and send you special greetings and buy you presents.

People treat you to breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner.

You're entitled to special offers, discounts and deals.

You get to hear how great you are and there's no one in the world who can take your place.

Some of you deserve to be lavished with such attention.

And some of you do not.

I vote to have a "Happy Other's Day".

You know, for those of us who will never have kids.

Happy Other's Day to the people who inspire other peoples kids.

Happy Other's Day to those of us who treat our friends kids as if they were our own.

Yes, we may be an outsider looking in on your life but we have a lot to offer.

You may not like our advice but we can be objective.

Happy Other's Day to me because damnit, I deserve to be acknowledged.

I am happy that you have your own kid(s) to love.

The thing is,  I love your kid(s) too because he/she is a part of you.


I think raising this beautiful 16 year old furry creature makes me compassionate and nurturing.

Just like a real mom.




10 comments:

  1. I agree with you that "Others" should be acknowledged. My other was my mom's twin sister. She was like a second mother to me, always there when I needed her and cheering on my accomplishments, small or large. She didn't marry until she was in her late 50's and never had children of her own, but she made my life infinitely better, just by being there, and being herself. In fact, I've always felt blessed because in a way, I had two mothers: my birth mother and her twin sister.

    Hope you're having a good day and a good week. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I wished certain people a Happy Mother's Day knowing full well that they were and are horrendous Mothers who don't even know where their children are. So yeah, Happy Other's Day to YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JarieLyn it is so good to have you back posting regularly! You're a breath of fresh air. I think I was trying to say much the same thing in my post. My dearest friend has never been a mother but she has been a substitute mother and an inspiration to my kids (and grandkids). I see her influence in my children. The "Others", the ones who support the mothers, are very important, too.
    Happy Others Day to you whenever you choose to celebrate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really dislike Mother's Day anyway, it is a marketing holiday. I appreciate what all people bring to life and try to let them know they are appreciated throughout the year. And having a heart for dogs, I am glad you are a mom to one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree totally with this! That is such a special picture of your dog (whose name totally escapes me).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure Hallmark Cards, candy stores and florists would love the idea of another holiday. :))

    I don't take Mother;s Day very seriously, although I do admit it was nice to hear from my kids last Sunday. I do hope they didn't feel obligated to call though just because it was Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! I know many of Others just as you described.

    I can't say I don't love Mother's Day though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww. how sweet! and as a mom to 6 4-legged kids of my own, i agree!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your POTW and thanks for taking the time to visit BOTH of my blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Came here Hilary wanting to congratulate you for the POTW. Very sweet post Happy Belated Other Day to you :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails