Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Bully Bully!


Unless you're dead, you've undoubtedly heard countless incidents of bullying happening in our schools.We all remember the horrific shooting at Columbine High School, which unfortunately was a result of being bullied. This massacre awakened an awareness in society about what goes on in schools.  Yes, we realized that this "something" is much more than peer pressure and fitting in. It's about hate and violence towards one another that is growing rampant amongst our youth in schools and its out of control. You know it's out of control when a mom poses as her daughter and harasses and bullies another student via facebook, eventually, causing the other student to commit suicide. But I digress. That's a whole separate issue deserving to be the center of another article.


What is wrong with us? We are supposed to be a united nation and love one another. It is our job as parents and adults to set good examples for our children. If we don't discipline our children and teach them common decency and compassion towards others, then we are a bad role model and a bad parent. Our children need to have respect for humanity in all its various forms because lack of respect produces bad behavior.


How many of you have heard about students bullying teachers?  You probably don't really give it any thought because you're more concerned about your own kids fitting in and other peoples kids, but It's a real problem and it happens way too often. In November, 2010, a report, "Indicators of School Crime and Safety: 2010" was released by the Department of Justice’s Bureau of Justice Statistics and the Department of Education’s National Center for Education Statistics. The report indicated that 145,100 public school teachers had been physically attacked by students at their schools in the course of a single school year and that another 276,700 public school teachers had been threatened with injury by a student in that school year.

The report didn't say how the schools were handling the threats and/or attacks.  It's difficult enough to find great teachers who care about their students, but add the stress of possibly being attacked by students and/or receiving verbal threats of injury or death to your person.........well, I'd be a little leary of teaching too, especially if nobody's taking action against the students who are bullying and harassing the teachers.  Parents and outsiders are too quick to blame the teachers for the bad behavior. It seems to me that everyone is so afraid of being politically incorrect that they forget who deserves the respect. The gang banger wannabe's and the punks, and the younger generation with the "entitlement mentality" are getting worse because we are afraid to do anything about it and quite frankly, I think we need to step up and be adults. Who cares what anyone else thinks if we are doing what's right in the long run. 

You're not supposed to be your kid's best friend. You're supposed to be the parent; teach them right from wrong, teach them to be respectful and kind and generous, teach them to be independent and ethical. Teach them love because if you don't, nobody else will. A bully isn't born. He's made by his environment, usually beginning at home.


Yes, I'm fighting mad because someone I care very deeply for who happens to be a teacher was threatened by a student because the teacher confiscated some pot from the student.  The student is a hard core gang banger type who totally freaked out and threatened my friend's life. I don't know all the details, but I don't think any kind of discipline has happened to the kid.  As far as I know, he is still in school, knows what car my friend drives, etc. etc. He should have been out of school for the pot alone- the threats should have reinforced it.  All I know is that if something happens to my friend or his family, I will do everything I can to put this kid away for good.  That is a promise.



Some people have always understimated me but I've always been a badass.
At least now Im legal.
Oh, and why is it that we always look crappy in our ID's.

This must have been one of my low hemoglobin days.



2 comments:

  1. I've always thought of myself as a lover and not as a badass but you are right that the world has changed and I, too, have a concealed badass inside myself that I maintain...just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think parent coddle their kids too much these days and in return they get no respect from them. It is a downward spiral we are in with the younger generations and something has to be done about it. I hope your friend stays safe.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails