Saturday, May 12, 2012

From one extreme to another

I have always loved black and white photos.

Last year when I took my beginning photography class at the college, one of our weekly assignments was to write a brief biography on a photographer whose work we admired.

Whenever I would do my on-line research looking for photographers, I was always drawn in by the classic black and white photos from the 1930's to the 1960's.

The photographs from that era are elegant, sophisticated, romantic, dramatic and somewhat mysterious.

There is just something about them that makes me want to study the faces in the photographs, or the background. It's like I am mesmerized by every little detail.


 

Of course, this could never compare to the professional photos that were shot with film.
But still, there is something sexy about this photo.

My taste in photography runs from one extreme to another.

I don't really care for photographs, especially landscapes, nature, and wildlife that look like regular photographs.

I prefer my photos to look more like paintings.
I like the creative side of photography, to be able to make something out of nothing.

Of course, everyone who is a professional is always saying that a good photograph starts inside the camera.

Yes, this is true.
However, I believe if you have a crappy picture to begin with you can still turn it into something great by being creative.
I'm sure most of you won't agree, but it's just my personal opinion.

HDR and over saturation is something I really like too.
Most people hate too much saturation but I have seen some really nice photos that stem from too much saturation (in the opinion of others)



This was a crappy picture of a plant and instead of throwing it out, I turned it into an abstract.
Some of the art is ridiculous.
We've all seen things that a 2 year old could paint and for some outrageous reason,
these ugly paintings go for thousands of dollars or more. 
So why couldn't my abstract do the same for me?
Just a thought.


I was going to post an HDR photo but I'm really tired so I think I'll save it for another day.

Happy creating, everyone!



3 comments:

  1. I love B&W too, but I think it is because as a young child my Dad taught me how to develop my own B&W film. It was exciting to watch the picture come to life in the developer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I clicked on the link to your blog -- thanks for sharing some of your stories. Just like they do in person, your blog posts make me laugh when I read them. I think you should write MORE, like everyday, or start a book!! --Deyanira

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails