Thursday, June 7, 2012

Transit of Venus

Click on photo to enlarge



Did anyone else try to capture an image of the transit of Venus?

My image is a bit out of focus but if you look closely you can see the little black dot on the sun.  That is Venus.

I used the same home made filter that I used when I photographed the solar eclipse last month.



The thing I like most about going out with my camera is all the people I meet.  Yesterday was no exception.

This guy was the only person here besides my frend
when I first arrived. He wasn't a photographer or anything like that. He was just a guy out walking the trails in the desert.
His name is Mike and he was quite interesting to talk to.
The subjects of conversation covered everything from UFO's,
conspiracy theories, politics, spirits, and higher consciousness.
Like I said, he was very interesting to talk with.
He encouraged me to check out a website, Divine Cosmos. Which  I did just now. I only skimmed it though so I could provide a link for my fellow bloggers but i do intend on checking out the content to see what it's all about.
I snapped a photo of him with my phone before I left.
It's almost embarrassing that my shadow is in the picture, let alone the placement of my shadow. It was not done on purpose.

 My friend, Deyanira finding her focal point.


The guy in the white T-Shirt had a telescope attached to his camera and he was quite generous in sharing the view with us,
which looked totally awesome. The sun was red and you could see venus clearly as well as several sunspots.
I didn't catch his name but I caught his story.
He just arrived from Seattle, his home town.
Apparently he had set up his equipment earlier in the day so he could capture the image of venus transiting the sun and he couldn't see anything from his location. So what does he do? He packs his camera gear up, drives straight to the airport, catches a plane to Vegas, rents a car and drives straight out to where we were. He didn't pack anything else at all because he had to fly back the same day in order to be home to go to work the next morning.
Man, I wish I could do that.
The spontanaety of it all is so thrilling.

Of course I had to snap a photo of myself as well.
BLAH!
I was going to send it to a friend to show what I was doing but I changed my mind.
The wind was blowing pretty good and the weather was really nice.
The best part was meeting cool people and learning new things.
And opening my mind to subjects that don't usually come up in everyday conversation.







2 comments:

  1. It truly is amazing who you can meet and what you can learn when you are out with your camera.

    Yep, I'd like to just hop on and off planes with my camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I missed the whole venus thing. I didn't even know it was happening until it was over. Great photo of it though.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails