Friday, July 10, 2015

FMTSO-Water

It's been a long while since I've posted anything in this space. I'm still very much active with my photography and in my camera club, but quite honestly, I've been more focused on my mail blog. Today I decied to join in on the Friday My Town Shoot Out because I have always loved participating in the different themes. And, because I have time for once. And because I kinda miss it. Today's theme is all about water. None of these were taken where I live, however, I take a lot of road trips and I think it's appropriate to showcase here, especially, since one of the photos come from the town I grew up in.


The above photo was taken in Oceanside, California. The photo isn't very sharp but in my defense it was a very windy day and I took this from quite a distance away while standing on the pier. This was taken in April while on a field trip with my camera club. Two other ladies and myself drove to Oceanside on our own in an attempt to catch the sunset. While waiting for the sun to go down, I captured these boys on their surfboards.


The above photo is the Kern River which flows through my hometown that I grew up in. This particular area is actually in the town of Kernville about an hour drive from where I used to live. This guy in the kayak is practicing maneuvers for his job as a river guide. The Kern River is very popular for white water rafting. When I was in highschool I lived for summers. They were the best because a bunch of us kids would float down the river with tubes tied together. It was so much fun. I really miss the river a lot.  The closest river to Las Vegas is Laughlin. Sometimes I will take a drive there but it's just not the same.


The photo above was taken this past weekend in Yosemite National Park in an area called Tuolumne Meadows. I love lakes and rivers more than the ocean. Granted, this photo was taken at the wrong time of day and it was a bit hazy out but I love this photo nonetheless. It's so serene.


A fallen pinecone rests in the water at Tuolumne Meadows.


This photo was taken in an area called Hetch Hetchy in Yosemite National Park. It's about a two hour drive from Tuolumne Meadows. These boats belong to the park ranger. We drove to Hetch Hetchy Valley to see the dam that was built in 1923.  We walked across the dam and through a tunnel to the other side. It was great exercise but it was really hot out. I was sweating profusely.


This is a picture of my husband taking photos. This is the other side of the dam after walking through the tunnel. 


I took this from the bridge of the dam. I had to squeeze my camera lens through the railing to get this shot. I'm not sure it's a waterfall in the normal sense, but water was coming out of these rocks hard, fast, and loud. I love the sound it made. Almost like big waves at the ocean, except it was at a river.


Coming back from Hetch Hetchy this is past Tuolumne Meadows and closer to the entrance of the park. I could sit here all day and just listen to the water flow over the rocks. It's a good way to quiet the mind and to mediate. Shortly after leaving this spot it began pouring rain.  We were headed to a campground to have dinner with fello photographers, about 18 people total. But when we pulled into the camp, I didn't have an umbrella or a warm jacket and I personally did not want my hot dog bun to get soggy. So I was the snob of the group and I went and got food somewhere else. My husband and I came back with a bottle of wine and some beer once the rain stopped, about 15 minutes later. 

I have some more photos that I took on this trip, specifically of Mono Lake. However, these are mostly sunrise and sunset photos so maybe I will post those next week for the theme of sunsets.

I hope you al enjoy my photos as much as I enjoy looking at yours. 
For those interested but not a part of the Friday Town Shoot Out please click on the link to browse all of the amazing water shots for this theme.

Have a fantastic weekend. 
I have a camera club meeting tonight. Our guest speaker is Cole Thompson who lives in Colorado. Check out his fantastic photography on his website.  Also, if interested you can learn more about my camera club here.


Thanks for stopping by.




3 comments:

  1. I really like your picture of the pine cone. I am going to check out the photographer you mentioned. How cool to have a photography club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures. You are getting so good! I love the one where you had to squeeze your camera in. Weren't you terrified you would drop your camera? It's a phobia of mine, haha. Gotta love the Kern River!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the arty nature of the pine cone shot.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails